Birthday party. When you are following the Whole30 the words can invoke feelings of dread and anxiety instead of the usual joy and excitement. OK, maybe I exaggerate, but I do usually get a little anxious when I know there will be tempting sugary treats at a gathering. So, instead of focusing on what I was choosing not to eat I emptied out my veggie drawer and made this fabulous dish to pass! Everyone loved it and I’m pretty sure no one would have guessed the “couscous” was made from everyone’s paleo friend, the cauliflower.
Mediterranean Fresh Salad with Cauli-couscous
1 head cauliflower
1T coconut oil
2t salt- divided
1t cracked black pepper
1 red bell pepper- chopped
1/2 small red onion- diced
1 large english cucumber- peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
3 radishes- cut in half and thinly sliced
1/2 jar sundried tomatoes- diced
15 cloves roasted garlic
juice of 1 lemon
1/4c olive oil
2T balsamic vinegar
1. Chop up the cauliflower and process in food processor in small batches
until the size of cous cous. Add 1t salt and 1t pepper.
2. Heat coconut oil in large skillet, add cauliflower and saute for 5
minutes. Do not overcook. Turn off heat and leave cauliflower in pan.
3. Combine bell pepper, onion, cucumber, radish, sun-dried tomato, and
garlic in a large bowl.
4. Add olive oil, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and 1t salt to veggies.
Stir to combine.
5. Add cauliflower to bowl and stir to combine.
**To make this even more Mediterranean you could add fresh flat leaf parsley and some chopped up olives. I did not have any, so I wrote the recipe as I made it.**